What is Organic Agriculture?
Organic agriculture is a holistic production management system which enhances agro-ecosystem health, utilizing both traditional and scientific knowledge. Organic agricultural system relies on ecosystem management rather than external agricultural inputs”(IFOAM).
What are the benefits of Organic Agriculture?
- Improved health and nutrition
- Little damage to environment – less cost for society
- Greater biodiversity
- Reduced nutrient losses
- Reduced erosion, better water management
- Low use of non – renewable resources
- Safer working conditions
- Less risk of contamination
- Can build on traditional knowledge, recognises farmers’ knowledge
- Access to organic market
How do I start organic crop production?
- Get an organic standard applicable to you target market
- Consider appropriate certification system
- Get appropriate training or guide for your production
- Acquire appropriate land in appropriate location for organic farming or convert current farm land
- Produce based on the standard
- Use only approved inputs and methodologies
- Sell your produce or products organically